Ghost characters

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Ghost characters

Post by Tawnos76 »

Was there ever a way for a player to play as a ghost in AD&D? 3.5 had the ghostwalk book which allowed it but I could not find anything for 2nd edition.
IXOYE
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

None that I could find. I'm not exactly sure if I read it in Dragon, but I remember seeing something that it was recommended that 'undead should not be a PC race'.

But something may be written in the Complete Necromancers Handbook about the possibility? I haven't perused it entirely.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Elayne
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Elayne »

Well, you could take some material from Van Richten's Guide of Ghosts ...

The only official way to do it was the Requiem module (Ravenloft) where you would play undead PCs. I'm quite sure there were some "ghosts" as a class/race there too. :)
"Survival is its own reward."
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

I totally forgot about Van Richten's Guide of Ghosts. I just started reading The Created. Never played the Ravenloft box set, but have incorporated some of the game into my game world.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ghosts as player characters are way out of line with 2E (or 1E) rules. PCs cannot play undead, and in any case a ghost would be evil and therefore not compatible with the rest of the party. Ghosts "hate goodness and life", so they would attack the other party members. Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts had no options for playing undead PCs.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Ghosts as player characters are way out of line with 2E (or 1E) rules. PCs cannot play undead, and in any case a ghost would be evil and therefore not compatible with the rest of the party. Ghosts "hate goodness and life", so they would attack the other party members. Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts had no options for playing undead PCs.
That's why only the DM can play ghosts- because DM's hate goodness & life, too! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Ghosts as player characters are way out of line with 2E (or 1E) rules. PCs cannot play undead, and in any case a ghost would be evil and therefore not compatible with the rest of the party. Ghosts "hate goodness and life", so they would attack the other party members. Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts had no options for playing undead PCs.
To bad for that as it was a fun module in 3.5 although I only played 3.5 for a year before going back to 2nd.
IXOYE