Traveller

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Traveller

Post by Minstrel »

Deleted - just noticed the subheader that this is just for AD&D type products...sorry Hal!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I don't see why we can't discuss it anyway, since it's a gaming product. Besides, aren't most of the editions now OOP? Ah, why not? Feel free to repost it. :wink:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

Cool thanks! Was just wondering if anyone had played much Traveller and if they'd recommend a particular rules edition and any other materials. If I could ever find a group to play I'd enjoy getting into a dark, epic sort of sci fi game (kinda a-la Riddick) and the second part of the question was whether Traveller is even suited for that feel.
Evil Eli
Dweller in the Ruins
Dweller in the Ruins

Post by Evil Eli »

"Your Sticky Foam is ready, Sir"

I Miss travellar, for the Character Generation if nothing else.
Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

I played in a brief Traveller game back in the 90s with some friends, and while the game itself was interesting, let's just say the GM had a thing for Kafers. We were charged with a recovery mission to retrieve a lost jumpship from some planet, and my character's speciality was jumpship flight expertise, so in the event we found it and secured it, I'd be the one to get us out of there.

Well, the mission went well. We encountered (what I felt) were too many Kafers, and after a while, it got a little threadbare. Part of that had to do with a preconceived expectation of mine (which, fairly, may not have been justified) that we'd experience and encounter more than just Kafers. I wanted D&D in space, or at least something close to that. I wanted to travel to distant planets to meet and see weird creatures and kill them. /Full Metal Jacket

So, while the campaign wasn't a total waste of time, it did leave me feeling a little flat towards Traveller.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I wish I had gotten into Traveller, Metamorphis Alpha, Gamma World, and Boot Hill. Sadly, I was brought up on welfare back in my youth so there wasn't exactly money to go around for personal endevours. My collection of raw Basic, 1st, and 2nd stuff I have has been compiled from years of going through used book stores and garage sales. Kinda sucks I had to be picky and choosy as a lot of sci-fi, horror, superhero, etc has some damn good ideas.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

I played once. In a tournament.

My friends and I were always hoping to play, but nobody wanted to be the ... uh, what do you call the DM in Travellers? :lol:

There was also the problem of being in a "smart" group of high school students. One of my friends was constantly berating the "lousy rules regarding computers." And he did have a point. (He now works in the US, designing top-secret military hardware.) Having people who know too much about stuff is a detriment to the disblief you need in a role-playing game....

(Hell, we had the same problem when we tried to play the original Top Secret game, too! :roll: Bubba kept arguing about the stats they gave for his favourite weapons.)