How do YOU handle Paralyzation?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

How do YOU handle Paralyzation?

Post by garhkal »

Is being paralyzed, like in real life, where someone just goes limp? Is it where they get "frozen in place", like in some movies? Is it a mix, depending on which monster is hitting you?

If 'frozen in place', can they be manipulated to where their limbs can be moved by someone else? ie if i grapple you, then get paralized, can you break out of said grapple?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Re: How do YOU handle Paralyzation?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I've always done it movie style - you're essentially frozen on the spot, in the position you were in when paralyzed. However, I do allow some paralytic poisons to produce flaccid paralytic states simply for variety. It's such a bitch to move around dead weight. :twisted:

As for someone being grappled by another person who is paralyzed, I'd allow a STR check to break free. If failed, others have to "pry" you free.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

So could say a human warrior, RUSH up and bearhug a lich to take him out of the fight, because since while grappled, NO CASTING of spells is possible??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, I'd say that any DM that allows a situation where a fighter can just run up and bear hug a lich isn't running the lich correctly in the first place. That's my initial thought.

But given the scenario, I would argue that, as I've seen most DMs run liches, they can control that paralysis. It's a touch attack that they must intend. I agree with that out look, and one of my arguments is that liches are known to go into society, in disguise (so as to avoid the fear effect), in order to accomplish certain tasks. Perhaps the lich heard of a rare tome being stored at a library or sage's office. If everyone who touches him or is touched by him becomes paralyzed, that would give him away at once. So I'd say the lich can control the paralysis.

And then there's the saving throw to avoid paralysis, though I'd also say the fighter could willfully forgo his saving throw, thus failing automatically.

Assuming the fighter could reach the lich and put him in a bear hug, forgoing his saving throw and thus being paralyzed, I'd give the lich a STR check to escape, or more likely he would have some sort of mentally activated teleportation device. But yes, if they did pin his arms, he couldn't cast spells. Unless he'd developed certain verbal-only spells.

So a lot of "what if" there.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!